I received this message, and thought some members might be interested.
The Department of State, Office of the Legal Adviser, Private International Law would like to give you notice about a public meeting that we will be hosting to discuss upcoming work in UNCITRAL on the development of online dispute resolution (ODR) legal instruments for resolving both business to business and business to consumer (B2C) cross-border e-commerce disputes, as well as the U.S. ODR initiative pending in the OAS through the Seventh Inter-American Specialized Conference on Private International Law (CIDIP-VII) for resolution of B2C disputes.
The meeting of the ODR Study Group will take place on Monday, November 22, 2010 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. EST at the Department of State, Office of Private International Law, 1800 N Kent St. Suite 200, Arlington, VA.
The first meeting of the UNCITRAL working group on ODR will take place December 13-17 in Vienna. Attached is a document that the UNCITRAL Secretariat has recently prepared for consideration at this meeting. Additional documents relating to the UNCITRAL WG III session include:
1. Provisional Agenda. (To locate go to the UNCITRAL website www.uncitral.org a href="http://www.uncitral.org">http://www.uncitral.org > , select English and then go to the right hand column entitled meetings. Click working group III and find the provisional agenda).
2. Report of the United Nations Commission on International Trade law on the work of its forty-third session (para. 257), concerning decision to establish Working Group. (To locate go back to meetings on the UNCITRAL web site and click commission and then 43rd session and then the first item report).
3. Possible future work on online dispute resolution in cross-border electronic commerce transactions: Note supporting the possible future work on online dispute resolution by UNCITRAL, submitted by the Institute of International Commercial Law (A/CN.9/710). (To locate go to last item on the list of docs for the 43rd session).
4. Possible future work on online dispute resolution in cross-border electronic commerce transactions: Note by the Secretariat (A/CN.9/706); (To locate go to item 50 under the listing of documents for the 43rd session).
5. Possible future work on electronic commerce: Proposal of the United States of America on online dispute resolution (A/CN.9/681/Add.2). (To locate go to the bottom of the page on the 43rd session and then click 42nd session. Paper is toward the bottom of the list).
For the U.S. OAS ODR Initiative tabled in February 2010 in the CIDIP VII negotiations please follow the following link: http://www.oas.org/dil/esp/CIDIPVII_proteccion_al_consumidor_united... (Annex A to the U.S. Legislative Guide). The initiative provides for resolution of cross-border B2C e-commerce contract disputes electronically on the basis of a state sponsored cooperative framework and model rules.
Access to the public meeting building is controlled; persons wishing to attend should contact Tricia Smeltzer or Niesha Toms of the Department of State Legal Adviser's Office at SmeltzerTK@state.gov<mailto:SmeltzerTK@state.gov> or TomsNN@state.gov<mailto:TomsNN@state.gov> and provide your name, e-mail address, and mailing address to get admission into the meeting or to get directions to the office. Please pass word on to others you think will be interested in joining.
If you would like to attend the meeting via conference call, here is the call-in information:
USA Toll-Free: 888-684-8852
USA Caller Paid/International Toll: 215-446-0155
ACCESS CODE 4293620
We hope everyone can join us.
All the best,
Office of Legal Adviser,
Private International Law,
Department of State